US Open 2021: Daniil Medvedev wins first grand slam title, defeats Djokovic in final
Russia's Daniil Medvedev bagged his first grand slam title on Sunday, after defeating world No. 1 Novak Djokovic in the US Open men's singles final.
Medvedev, the world No. 2 won the game held at the Arthur Ashe Stadium, New York in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.
Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic stormed into the finals of the ongoing US Open after defeating Alexander Zverev in a five-set thriller on Saturday.
World number Djokovic defeated Zverev in the semi-finals 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 here at the Arthur Ashe Stadium. Djokovic will now take on Daniil Medvedev in the summit clash of the US Open.
The 34-year-old Djokovic is chasing a Calendar Slam after having won the Australian Open, French Open, and Wimbledon earlier this year.
Daniil Medvedev progressed to the finals after defeating Felix Auger-Aliassime 6-4, 7-5, 6-2 in the semi-finals.
- US Open: Djokovic defeats Zverev in five-set marathon, progresses to finals
- Tokyo Olympics: Zverev becomes first German singles tennis player to win gold at Games
- Tokyo Olympics: Japan's Naomi Osaka breezes into third round
- Tokyo Olympics: Naomi Osaka enters second round
- Tokyo Olympics: Sania, Ankita suffer shock defeat in first round of women's doubles