Top News
Next Story
NewsPoint

New Zealand suspends entry for travellers from India amid COVID-19 spike

Send Push
Dynamite News
08th April, 2021 11:23 IST

Wellington [New Zealand]: New Zealand on Thursday temporarily suspended entry for all travellers from India following a surge in COVID-19 cases arriving from there, local media reported.

Also Read: India records over 1.26 lakh new COVID-19 cases, highest so far

The ban comes after it was reported that 17 of the 23 new COVID-19 cases in managed isolation announced on Thursday had arrived from India.
The ban will commence on Sunday and will remain in place until April 28, New Zealand Herald reported. The island nation has reported 2,531 cases so far.

While arrivals from India had triggered the risk assessment, New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the Government would be looking at risks posed by other COVID-19 hot spot countries. "This is not a permanent arrangement but rather a temporary measure," she said.

Also Read: North Korea will not participate with eye on COVID-19 

The temporary hold would also help reduce the risk that travellers themselves faced, the Prime Minister added. India has been witnessing a sudden increase in COVID-19 cases. The country has so far reported over 1.28 crore cases. The active COVID-19 caseload of the country reached more than 8,43,000 and the daily positivity rate is on a steady rise. (ANI)

Explore more on Newspoint
Loving Newspoint? Download the app now