Top News
Next Story

E-tolling infrastructure set up at 75% of national highways

Send Push
The Economic Times
14th August, 2019 23:28 IST

NEW DELHI: Moving swiftly on the government’s plan to switch to electronic toll collection on national highways from December 1, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has equipped nearly 75% of national highways with e-tolling infrastructure.

The road transport and highways ministry, in a letter sent to the NHAI last month, had asked for conversion of all toll lanes at all national highways to ‘FASTag lanes’, a move that will make travel through toll plazas seamless and remove congestion.

Introduced in 2014 by the government, the RFID-based FASTag affixed on the windscreen of vehicles allows for direct payment of fee from a prepaid or savings account linked to it and enables vehicles to drive through toll plazas without stopping for transactions.

ET had reported on July 9 that the government planned to make electronic tolling mandatory in a bid to reduce congestion at toll plazas.

“About 75% of toll plazas already have fully functional infrastructure (for e-tolling). We are in the process of setting it up in the remaining 20-25% plazas,” said an official, who did not wish to be identified.

In the case of national highways functioning on build-operate-transfer model, the concessionaires have been asked to make infrastructure for electronic tolling available, said the official.

Explore more on Newspoint
Loving Newspoint? Download the app now