A Maharashtrian dish made with sprouted moth beans, boiled potato and some spices. This beans preparation is very popular and common in the region of Maharashtra.
For pressure cooking:
½ cup Moth beans (matki) will give 2 cups sprouted beans
1 small Potatoes
2 ½ cups Water
¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
For matki usal recipe:
1 ½ tablespoons Oil
½ teaspoon Mustard seeds
a pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
5-6 Curry leaves
1 cup Onion finely chopped
2 teaspoons Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
2 teaspoons Garlic paste or freshly grated
Salt to taste
2 teaspoons Red chili powder
2 teaspoons Goda masala
½ cup Water
2 teaspoons Lemon juice
Making matki sprouts:
* Wash the moth beans under running cold water till water runs clear.
* Soak the beans in enough water for 8 hours or overnight.
* Drain the water and take beans in the damp cloth or man’s handkerchief. Tie up the cloth and put in the bowl.
* Cover the bowl. Keep it in the warm and dark place for one day. Within one day it will get sprouted well.
Pressure cooking the beans and potato:
* Wash the sprouted beans well.
* Take into the pressure cooker with 1 small potato.
* Add 2 ½ cups of water and a pinch of turmeric powder.
* Cover with lid, put the weight on and turn the heat on medium.
* Pressure cook it on medium heat for 1 whistle.
* Let the pressure go down by itself and open the lid.
* Take out the boiled potato and drain the beans.
* Peel the potato and cut into small cubes.
Making matki usal:
* Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
* Then saute in curry leaves for few seconds.
* Add onions and sprinkle some salt. Cook it till onions get light brown and soft.
* Saute ginger paste and garlic paste for a minute or till the raw smell goes away.
* Add Red chili powder and goda masala. Mix well and cook for a minute.
* Add cubed potato, moth beans and ½ cup of water.
* Mix well and let it simmer for 4-5 minutes.
* Squeeze some lemon juice.
* Turn off the stove