Aloo ka halwa is a popular and delicious dessert from North India specially in Uttar Pradesh. It is the easiest and quickest halwa I have ever made. It can be eaten during fasting or as vrat ka khana/falahaar.
400 grams Potatoes / Aloo boiled , 3 medium *
1 cup Sugar / Chini or 3/4 cup **
4.5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
1 tbsp Water / Paani
10 Almonds / Badam
10 Pistachio / Pista
* Peel and mash the boiled potatoes.
* Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pan or use a non stick pan.
* Now add the mashed potato and saute on medium heat.
* Keep stirring the halwa else it will start charring and sticking at the bottom.
* After approximately 10 minutes it will change colour and turn light golden and start giving out a nice aroma.
* Add sugar and water and keep stirring till it starts leaving the sides of the pan .
* Now add cardamom powder and chopped almonds and pitachios.
* Mix well and serve hot.