Besan Ka Halwa is a traditional Indian dessert and made using different flour, lentils, nuts and vegetables. Besan Ka Halwa is one of my favorite Halwas.
1 cup coarse besan (ladoo ka besan, gram flour)
1/2 cup clarified butter (ghee)
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp cardamom powder (ilachi)
2-1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp almonds (sliced)
* Boil the water with sugar, and cardamom powder in a sauce pan over low medium heat. Bring to a boil and Set aside.
* Melt the clarified butter in a frying pan on low medium heat. Add besan and roast to golden brown color; stirring constantly this will take about 5 to 8 minutes. Besan will be golden brown in color and will have a light sweet aroma.
* Add the syrup slowly, as you add the syrup to besan water will splatter.
* Turn down the heat to low and let it cook for about 2-3 minutes.
* Besan will absorb the water, as the Halwa cools so keep Halwa a little softer then you like.
* Garnish with cashews.