Chole Dhania Masala is a spicy chick pea curry cooked in a flavourful green masala. The fresh coriander renders a beautiful flavour to this dish. Go ahead give it a try and serve it to your loved ones.
Chickpeas 3/4 cup
Fresh coriander 1/4 cup
Fresh coriander leaves,small 1 bunch
Salt to taste
Cinnamon 1/2 inch p
Cumin seeds 1 1/2 teaspoons
Coriander seeds 1 1/2 teaspoons
Black cardamom 1
Green chillies 2
Ghee 4 tablespoons
Onion sliced 12 medium
Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
Dry mango powder (amchur) 1/2 tablespoon
Garam masala powder 1/2 teaspoon
Black salt (kala namak) to taste
Red chilli powder 1/4 teaspoon
* Soak the chickpeas and the Bengal gram separately for four to six hours. Drain and mix.
* Add three cups of water and a little salt and pressure-cook till the pressure is released five or six times (five or six whistles).
* Lightly roast and powder the cinnamon, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black cardamom and cloves.
* Grind the fresh coriander and green chillies to a smooth paste.
* Heat three tablespoons of ghee in a non stick kadai; add the onion and sauté for three or four minutes till golden brown.
* Add the ginger paste and garlic paste and continue to sauté for another minute.
* Add the roasted spice powder, dried mango powder, garam masala powder, black salt and coriander-green chilli paste and sauté for two or three minutes, or till the ghee separates from the masala.
* Add the chickpeas and Bengal gram, and mix. Add half a cup of water if the mixture is too dry.
* Adjust the salt and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for four or five minutes.
* Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan; take it off the heat and add the chilli powder. Pour immediately over the chana and cover the pan.
* Leave to stand for five minutes. Serve hot with puri.