Coconut Malai Peda is a delicately flavored coconut sweet made with milk solids. Made with just five simple ingredients, this recipe for malai peda is undoubtedly going to please many taste buds. In addition to that, it’s incredibly delicious, super nutty and a perfect way to satisfy your sweet cravings!!
Fall is a very joyous time in India. The heatwave and monsoon have crossed the nation and the festival season is about to begin.
Peda is a small disc-shaped-sweet from the Indian subcontinent. The word Peda is generically used to define a fudge-type-cookie made with milk solids/milk powder, sugar, and some flavorings like cardamom, rose, pistachio, and saffron.
2 cups Milk Powder
½ cup Powdered Sugar
½ cup Milk/Cream (heavy whipping cream)
¼ cup Ghee/Clarified Butter
½ cup Desiccated unsweetened Coconut
Cardamom Powder to sprinkle on top
* In a large bowl combine milk powder, coconut, and powdered sugar in a bowl. Knead it with your hands to combine.
* Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the above mixture. Mix it well.
* Add cream and cook until the mixture starts to come together like dough (7-9 minutes). Maintain the heat at the low-medium setting.
* This mixture can get burned pretty quickly so, please be very careful and keep stirring.
*The cooked mixture will be grainy at this point. No worries, take it off the flame.
* Allow it to cool. The mixture will become firm as it cools.
* When it’s comfortable to touch, knead the dough until its smooth and no longer grainy.
* Grease your hands and take about a golf ball size of dough and roll it into your hands. Flatten the ball.
* Your peda is ready, repeat the process with rest of the mixture.
* Garnish with saffron strands and cardamom powder. Can stay well in the refrigerator for 1week.