Paneer and peas cooked in a delicious and easy to prepare curry. It tastes great with rice, roti or paratha.
300g Paneer cut into cubes
Half cup peas (fresh or frozen)
2 medium onions, finely chopped
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
1 medium potato, cut into cubes
3 tablespoons oil
1 small cinnamon stick (approx. 1 inch)
2 bay leaves
11/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder or to taste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
* Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add the cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaves and saute for 5 seconds to let them infuse their flavour into the oil.
* Add the chopped onions, crushed ginger and garlic. Sauté till the onions turn light golden brown in colour. Please note that if you are using ginger & garlic paste, add it after the onions are half done otherwise it will get burnt. I used ginger & garlic crushed in the mortar & pestle which is not as fine as the paste; therefore I added it with the onions.
* Once the onions turn golden brown, add the chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder.
* Sauté till the moisture gets evaporated and oil starts oozing on the sides.
* Add the potatoes and peas. Mix well and add 2 cups of water. This will make quite a runny curry; you can add less water if you like a thicker curry.
* Mix well and put the lid on the pressure cooker. Cook it on high heat for 2 whistles and then on low heat for 5 minutes.
* Turn off the heat. Let the steam escape before opening the lid of the pressure cooker.
* After opening the lid, mash a few potatoes in the curry with the back of a ladle to give it a nice consistency.
* Add the paneer cubes while the curry is warm and simmer them in the curry for 1 minute. Serve hot with rice or paratha.