Besan Cheela or Besan Pudla is a traditional recipe which can be easily and quickly made with just few basic ingredients available in each and every pantry. Besan chela can be served for breakfast, Brunch and also good option to pack in lunch boxes.
The color andthe texture of besan chiila is similar to the omelette so is also popular as vegetarian omelette. Traditionally it is made with gram flour and spices only but I like to add finely chopped vegetables in it to make it more healthier and light to digest. I like to add the chopped vegetable in the batter so it not only taste good but also spread easily.
1 cup Gram flour / Besan
2 tbsp Rice Flour / Chawal Ka Atta optional
1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch finely chopped
3/4 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
1/2 cup Mixed vegetables finely chopped
1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
to taste Salt / Namak
3 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
1 cup water
* In a big deep bowl add gram flour, rice flour and water and mix well to make a lump free smooth batter.cover and keep aside for 15 minute minimum.
* Now add the finely chopped vegetables in the batter and mix well.
* You can add any vegetable of your choice i.e cabbage ,cauliflower, capsicum ,carrot, spinach, tomatoes, broccoli etc.
* Heat a flat cast iron pan or a non stick pan and wipe it with little oil dipped cloth or tissue to season it.
* When the pan become medium hot then pour a ladle full of batter on the tawa and gently spread it thinly . Take care that it will not break while spreading.
* Let it cook on medium to low heat till the top looks dry.