Tindora Fry also known as Dondakaya Vepudu is a delicious Indian Curry made with by stir frying thinly sliced Tindora tempered with seasonings. It goes well the North Indian meal of Dal, Raita and Roti. It also tastes good with South Indian food like Sambar-Rice, Curd Rice etc.
Tindora is a small green coloured vegetable which looks like a small baby cucumber. It is a crunchy vegetable that grows on a vine in tropical regions. It is an affordable, healthy and tasty vegetable that is freshly available in abundance.
250 gm Tindora
1 Teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
3-4 Dried Red Chilli
6-7 Curry Leaves
1-2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
1 Pinch Hing / Asafoetida
1/2 Teaspoon Haldi / Turmeric Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Garam Masala
1/2 Teaspoon Dhaniya Coriander Powder
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Oil
* Wash, rinse and drain the Tindoras.
* Chop off the ends and cut them into thin slices lengthwise.
* Heat oil in a pan and add 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds. Fry the cumin seeds till they start to splutter. Add 3-4 Dried Red Chillies, 5-6 Curry Leaves, 1-2 finely chopped Green Chillies & a pinch of Heeng and fry.
* Add the thinly sliced Tindoras to the pan.
* Add Haldi, Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala, Coriander Powder, Salt and Lemon Juice.
* Stir fry the vegetables on a high-medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Then cover with a lid and cook on low flame, stirring occasionally for 15-20 minutes till cooked. Tindora Fry is ready. Serve it hot with any main course meal of roti or rice.