It is one of the most famous Sindhi breakfast recipe. The dal is a simple preparation of chana dal perked up with green chillies, cumin seeds and spice powders; while the pakwan is a deep-fried puri like snack made with a plain flour dough. Enjoy Dal pakwan
1/3 cup split Bengal Gram / split Chana Dal
2 tbsp Oil
1/2 cup Onion finely chopped
1 Tomato finely chopped
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
pinch of Hing
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red Chilli powder
1/4 tsp Amchur powder
For Pakwan / Puri
1 1/2 cups Maida
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns
Salt to taste
* Rinse chana dal in cold water and soak that for 4 hours.
* After 4 hours put soaked dal along with water in pressure cooker.
* To that add finely chopped onion and tomatoes, mix well.
* Now pressure cook dal until 3 to 4 whistles until dal is completely cooked.
* After dal is cooked, mash it a little bit and add some water to adjust the dal consistency.
* Pour this tempering over boiled chana dal.
* Add salt to taste and mix well.
* Turn off the heat and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves!
* Sieve maida in a mixing bowl.
* Take cumin seeds and black peppercorns in to mortal and pestle and pound that down to make it in to fine powder.
* Add powdered mixture in to sieved maida along with some salt to taste.
* Add water to make it in to stiff dough.
* Cover and let the dough sit for 30 mts.
* Take dough and divide dough in small lemon sized balls.
* With the help of fork make some holes over poori so that it would not puff up after you fry it.
* Reapeat the same process with the rest of dough.
* Now deep fry till it gets good golden color.
* Serve hot with Dal!