Ladyfinger or bhindi is one of those things that your either love or just don’t like. This recipe is so good it will turn even those who aren’t fond of it into stringent lovers of the vegetable.
Ladyfingers 500 grams
Oil 4 tablespoons
Cumin seeds 1/2 teaspoon
Onions sliced 2 large
Green chillies slit 3-4
Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Dried mango powder (amchur) 2 teaspoons
* Wash and dry the bhindi or wipe with a wet cloth.
* Cut both the ends and cut into two inch long pieces.
* Slit the pieces horizontally without cutting them into two.
* Heat the oil in a kadai and add the cumin seeds.
* When they change colour, add the onions and saute till light golden.
* Add the green chillies and saute for half a minute.
* Add the bhindi and sprinkle the red chilli, coriander and turmeric powders.
* Mix well. Cook covered over low heat stirring occasionally.
* Add the salt and amchur.
* When the bhindi is almost cooked, increase the heat and cook for two minutes.