Drumstick masala is a tasty and easy stir fry made with drumsticks, onions and tomatoes. This is not only easy to make but flavorful too with the masalas blended with drumsticks and now this has become my keeper recipe for drumsticks. It goes well with sambar or any kuzhambu.
Drumsticks - 2
Onion - 1 medium sized
Tomato - 1 medium sized
Water - ½ cup
Salt - to taste
Coconut grated - 1 tbsp
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Garlic cloves - 3
Fennel seeds - ½ tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Corainder powder - ½ tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - ½ tsp
Curry leaves - few
* Grind coconut, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, red chilli powder and corainder powder with little water to a fine paste. Set aside.
* Wash the drumsticks well in running water and chop them length wise.
* Chop the onions and tomatoes finely and keep it ready.
* Heat a pan with oil and add the items to temper.
* Once mustard cracks add curry leaves. Fry it for a minute.
* Now add the onions and sauté till onion becomes transparent.
* Then add chopped tomatoes and sauté them until soft and mushy.
* Once the tomatoes are cooked well add coconut paste.
* Mix well and fry the masala until the raw smell is completely leaves.
* Add required salt.
* Then add chopped drumstick pieces and mix well with the masala.
* Fry the drumsticks well with the masala for 2 minutes so that the masala gets evenly coated with the drumsticks.
Add water till it immersing level and cook covered in medium flame until the drumsticks are completely cooked.
* This may take 10 to 12 minutes. After the drumsticks got cooked well, fry everything well for 2 more minutes.
* Once everything comes together, switch off the flame.