A mix of vegetables cutlet recipe with grated beet or beetroot as main ingredients. the patties or tikki from beet has a dark red or pinkish colour and texture which is inherited from the beetroot. It can be and ideal evening snack or party starter recipe with tomato ketchup or green chutney as side dish.
2 cup beetroot, grated
¼ onion, finely chopped
¼ tsp turmeric / haldi
1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder / lal mirch powder
¼ tsp cumin powder / jeera powder
2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
½ tsp garam masala
½ tsp aamchur / dry mango powder
1 potato, boiled & mashed
½ tsp chaat masala
½ tsp ginger garlic paste
salt to taste
¼ cup bread crumbs
2 tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp maida / plain flour / refined flour / all purpose flour
½ tsp pepper, crushed
¼ tsp salt
¼ cup water
1 cup breadcrumbs
oil for frying
* Firstly, in a large mixing bowl squeeze off juice from 2 cups of grated beetroot.
* Add in 1 boiled and mashed potato. i have pressure cooked potato for 5 whistles.
* Also add ¼ onion and all spices.
* Add in ¼ cup bread crumbs add 2 tbsp coriander leaves.
* Combine well making sure all the spices are mixed well and dough is formed.
* Further prepare the patties from beetroot dough.
* Dip in corn flour batter covering both sides.
* Then roll in bread crumbs on both the sides.
* Deep fry, shallow fry or pan fry the patties in hot oil. alternatively, preheat and bake at 180 degree celsius for 25 minutes.
* Flip and fry both the sides on medium flame till it turns golden and crisp.
* Finally, drain over kitchen paper to remove excess oil and serve beetroot cutlet or beetroot patties with tomato sauce.