Holi, the festival of colours will be celebrated on 29th March this year. Full of colours, gujiya, thandai and other delicacies, Holi is one festival people of all age group look forward to. Holika Dahan, which is celebrated one day right before Holi holds equal importance. Holika Dahan will be celebrated on 28th March, which is Sunday.
Here is the muhrat, pooja vidhi and mantras for Holika Dahan pooja.
What is Holika Dahan?
Holika Dahan is celebrated on the Purnima Tithi (Full Moon Night) of the Phalguna month of the Hindu calendar, which usually falls in the month of March or April. Holika Dahan is not just a festival but has a deeper meaning in the Hindu religion. The day marks the triumph of good over evil.
Holika Dahan Muhrat
Holika Dahan Date: Sunday, March 28
Holika Dahan Muhurta: 6:37 PM to 8:56 PM
Bahadra Paunchha: 10:13 AM to 11:16 AM
Bhadra Mukha: 11:16 AM to 1:00 PM
Purnima Tithi Begins: 3:27 AM on March 28
Purnima Tithi Ends: 12:17 AM on March 29
Holika Dahan pooja vidhi
For Holika Dahan, people light a bonfire after sunset, chant mantras and sing traditional songs and circle around the bonfire. To start the pooja, wood logs are placed in a clean place, surrounded by straw. Before lighting the fire, people offer roli, akshat, flowers, raw cotton thread, turmeric, moong dal, batasha, peanuts, gur in the stacked woods. Then people chant the mantra and light the fire and circle around the bonfire 5 times and pray for their wellness and happiness.
Here are a few rules one must for Holika Dahan pooja:
- Make sure to take a bath and wear clean clothes before starting the pooja.
- Face towards the East direction, while performing the pooja.
- Apply abeer-gulal on the forehead of the idols placed in your temple.
- Light a dhupbatti, agarbatti and keep tulsi leaves near the pooja offerings.
-An idol or a picture
-Abeer and gulaal of different colours
-Ghee made out of cow’s milk
-Cotton wicks, lamps (made out of earthen mud or metal)
-Incense or Itra (For worship)
Om Nrisimhaye vidmahe vajranakhaya dhimahi tan no simhah Prachodayat
Vajra nakhaya vidmahe tikshna damstraya dhimahi tan no narasimhah Prachodayat
Follow these rules to prevent the coronavirus from spreading
- Stay indoors and do not go out until important
- Avoid applying colours to anyone
- Wear facemask and maintain social distancing
- Avoid handshakes and hugging people
- Eat healthy and fresh food
- Avoid having cold beverages
- Do not invite people to home
- Avoid going to crowded places
- If you have elders at home, stop them from stepping outside. Help them with anything they need from outside.
Wish you all a happy and colourful Holi! Stay indoors and follow the corona guidelines to stop the spread of the COVID 19 virus.