The year has just started and the first Saturday of 2019 turns out to be an auspicious one. According to Hindu calendar , Saturday, January 5 is Shani Amavasya (शनि अमावस्) which means that the first moon will be falling on a Saturday - an auspicious yog. Those who will offer prayers on this day will be set free from all Shani doshas hence it is important, auspicious and significant.
Date of Shani Amavasya
The date of Shani Amavasya (शनि अमावस्) this year is Saturday, January 5, 2019.
The Shani Amavasya (शनि अमावस्) will last till 6:58 PM on January 5, 2019.
Significance of Shani Amavasya
Lord Shani is the Karmic donor. He is aggressive but is believed to set you on the right path in life. On this day of Shani Amavasya, it is believed that Lord Saturn will fulfill all your wishes and desires. It is also considered to be an auspicious day to get relief from the obstacles caused due to kalsarpa yoga, dhaiyaa and sadesati. Since it is one of the most dear days to Lord Shani, one must offers prayers and perform puja to get rid of all the obstacles in life caused by Saturn. The only way to keep Shani happy is to stay religious and righteous in life. Do your karma and he will make sure things fall in place for you.
Shani Amavasya puja
Before your perform the puja, take bath in holy river or from the water of holy river (Gangajal). Blue flowers, bel patra, rice are important to be offered to the lord. You must recite the mantra “Om Shan Shaneshacharya Namah” and “Om Pram Preem Proma Shan Shaneshcharya Namah” while offering your prayers. You must pray and donate mustard oil, jaggery, black sesame, urad dal on this day. Recite Shani Chalisa, Hanuman Chalisa and Bajrang Ban path on the day of Shani Amavasya (शनि अमावस्).
Benefits of Shani puja
When someone offers prayers to Lord Shani with a pure heart, Shani always grants positive results.
1. It is very an important puja for those undergoing an unfavorable transit (ShaniSaadeSaati).
2. People who are facing misfortunes frequently should perform it.
3. A powerful remedy, Shani puja is great for those suffering from evil eye or black magic.
4. In case there is any prolonged illness, this puja shows great results.
5. It is an effective way to dilute the negative karmas.
6. Helpful in case of depression, low confidence etc.
7. It is extremely beneficial for those in the service sector.