The New Year has just begun and this year's first Amavasya falls on the first Saturday of 2019, which is also called Shani Amavasya. As the name suggests, Shani Amavasya (शनि अमावस्या) is dedicated to Shani Dev-- also known as Sanaischarya, Shanishwara and Chaya Putra. This day is considered to be auspicious by many Hindus. It is believed that people who have shani dosh, sadesati and mahadasha in their horoscope should perform the Shani Amavasya Puja on this sacred day to please Lord Shani and ward off the evil. The puja performed on this day day is celebrated to ward off any bad omens and evils from one's life. Shani Amavasya this year falls on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Shani Amavasya is considered an auspicious day for pleasing Lord Shani by donating to the poor people and bathing in holy rivers like the Ganges, which is said to give salvation to one's ancestors.
It is noted that the occasion is celebrated in various ways across the country. But as a devotee you should note that Shani Dev does not like slaughtering of innocent animals.
Before performing the Shani Amavasya (शनि अमावस्या) puja on this day, devotees should take a bath from water of a holy river or in a holy river, if possible. Offerings like bel patra, blue flowers and rice are offered to Lord Shani for the puja. While offering prayers, one should recite the mantra “Om Shan Shaneshacharya Namah” and “Om Pram Preem Proma Shan Shaneshcharya Namah”. Devotees should also recite Shani Chalisa, Bajrang Baan and Hanuman Chalisa on the day of Shani Amavasya.
In order to make this day fruitful for you and your loved ones, do note to never do these five things during Shani Puja :
1. Don't forget to take a bath in the morning, before performing the puja. Also ensure that the place is clean and well lit.
2. Make sure you use mustard oil or pure ghee to burn the lamp for this puja.
3. Avoid cutting your hair and nails on this day as it is considered to be inauspicious.
4. Do not forget to please Shani Dev by donating food or essentials to a beggar or old people on Shani Amavasya (शनि अमावस्या). If they approach you, then they should not return empty-handed. Clothes donated on this day should be of dark blue, deep purple or black colour.
5. Do not consume alcohol and meat on this day.