Top News
Next Story

Gujarat government proposes three new medical colleges

Send Push
The Times Of India
12th October, 2019 07:09 IST

GANDHINAGAR: The state government announced on Friday that it has recommended the central government to start three new medical colleges in the districts of Narmada, Navsari and Porbandar.

Deputy CM and minister of health and medical education, Nitin Patel, told reporters that the central government had decided in August this year to start 75 new medical colleges in areas where such facilities were not available. “Gujarat had been asked to select five districts to set up as many medical colleges,” Patel said.

He added that the state government has selected three of the total five places, while the remaining two districts will be finalised shortly. “We have recommended the names of Rajpipla (Narmada district), Navsari and Porbandar. The state government is willing to start medical colleges in Mahisagar, Morbi, Botad, Aravalli and Devbhoomi Dwarka as well,” Patel said. The minister stated that under the scheme, 60% of the cost for setting up medical colleges will be provided by the central government, while the remaining 40% will be borne by the state government.

Of the total cost of Rs 325 crore to set up a medical college , Rs 195 crore will be provided by the central government and the state government will spend Rs 130 crore, he added.

Explore more on Newspoint
Loving Newspoint? Download the app now