Top News
Next Story
NewsPoint

UP university authorities discuss common minimum curriculum with focus on skill development

Send Push
The Times Of India
23rd October, 2019 09:40 IST

AGRA: A high-level meeting took place at the Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar University on Monday to decide on a common minimum curriculum to be implemented in all 28 state universities. At the meeting, authorities from universities of Agra, Kanpur, Gorakhpur , Meerut and Bareilly decided to lay emphasis on skill development of students in the common minimum curriculum.

Last year, the state government had asked university authorities to bring “uniformity” in their undergraduate and postgraduate courses. Vice-chancellors of major universities in UP had decided that all universities will follow at least 60% of the common course.

At the meeting, it was decided that evaluation of students’ performance will be made on the basis of theoretical exams and internal evaluation. The theoretical exam will carry 80% weight, with internal evaluation carrying the rest 20% weightage.

Participants included Agra University vice-chancellor Arind Kumar Dixit, Bareilly University VC Anil Shukla, Gorakhpur University pro-VC S K Dixit, Kanpur University professors S K Swankar and V D Pandey and Meerut University professor Vignesh Tyagi.

G S Sharma, the public relations officer of Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar University, said, “At the meeting, we decided to lay extra emphasis on providing practical knowledge and skill development of students. The next meeting on the common minimum curriculum has been scheduled for November 7 in Lucknow. The curriculum is likely to be implemented across state universities from the 2020-21 session onwards.”

Explore more on Newspoint
Loving Newspoint? Download the app now