Robert De Niro makes heartbreaking 8-word death admission
Legendary actor Robert De Niro has made a heartbreaking eight-word statement about his mortality after losing a close friend and co-star. The 82-year-old Goodfellas star was among the first to pay tribute to his late The Godfather Part II and True Confessions co-star, Robert Duvall.
In an emotional message, De Niro shared some thoughts about his own longevity as he penned: "God bless Bobby. I hope I can live till I'm 95. May he rest in peace." The admission comes as Duvall died on Sunday February 15 at age 95. The news was confirmed by Luciana, the actor's wife of 20 years, in a statement on Facebook on Monday. "Yesterday we said goodbye to my beloved husband, cherished friend, and one of the greatest actors of our time. Bob passed away peacefully at home, surrounded by love and comfort," she wrote.
"To the world, he was an Academy Award-winning actor, a director, a storyteller. To me, he was simply everything. His passion for his craft was matched only by his deep love for characters, a great meal, and holding court.
"For each of his many roles, Bob gave everything to his characters and to the truth of the human spirit they represented. In doing so, he leaves something lasting and unforgettable to us all. Thank you for the years of support you showed Bob and for giving us this time and privacy to celebrate the memories he leaves behind."
Duvall's portrayal of Tom Hagen, the loyal consigliere in The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, remains one of the defining performances of 1970s cinema.
*** Ensure our latest showbiz headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source.Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***
Fellow star Al Pacino said it had been "an honour" to work with him. In a tribute, he said: "He was a born actor, as they say.
"His connection with it, his understanding and his phenomenal gift will always be remembered. I will miss him."
Elsewhere, De Niro has previously struggled with his health. When he was aged 60, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.
He underwent surgery in 2003 at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre and made a full recovery.
According to the American Cancer Society, the actor said he knew he had to "stay strong and make informed decisions" and praised "regular check-ups" for saving his life.