Operation Sagar Bandhu: IAF choppers rescue civilians in flood-hit Sri Lanka; C-130 joins relief operations - Watch
Under Operation Sagar Bandhu , Chetak helicopters deployed from INS Vikrant carried out search and rescue sorties across Sri Lanka on Monday, assisting communities affected by Cyclone Ditwah . India reaffirmed its solidarity with Sri Lanka during the crisis and continued efforts to save lives and deliver urgent relief.
A video released by the High Commission of India in Colombo shows the rescue operations from onboard the aircraft, with personnel lowering ropes, harnesses and inflatable rafts to reach people stranded in floodwaters. Survivors are seen swimming towards the rescue lines before being lifted to safety.

Earlier on Sunday, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar noted the close coordination between NDRF teams and Sri Lankan authorities as relief efforts continue across the island nation.
So far, India has airlifted 27 tonnes of relief material to Colombo. This includes 21 tonnes flown in by a C-130 military transport aircraft and an Ilyushin IL-76 from Hindan Air Base on Friday night, which also carried more than 80 NDRF personnel and 8 tonnes of equipment, as cited by ANI.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also conveyed his condolences to the people of Sri Lanka who have lost loved ones in the devastation caused by Cyclone Ditwah. He also expressed hope for the safety, comfort and quick recovery of all affected families.
India has also said it is prepared to provide further assistance as the situation develops. Guided by the principles of the Neighbourhood First policy and Vision MAHASAGAR, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaffirmed that India will continue to stand by Sri Lanka in its time of need.
According to the latest figures released by Sri Lanka’s Disaster Management Centre on Sunday, 193 people have been confirmed dead and 228 remain missing since Thursday. The DMC reported that 9,68,304 people from 2,66,114 families have been affected by the extreme weather.
A video released by the High Commission of India in Colombo shows the rescue operations from onboard the aircraft, with personnel lowering ropes, harnesses and inflatable rafts to reach people stranded in floodwaters. Survivors are seen swimming towards the rescue lines before being lifted to safety.
Earlier on Sunday, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar noted the close coordination between NDRF teams and Sri Lankan authorities as relief efforts continue across the island nation.
So far, India has airlifted 27 tonnes of relief material to Colombo. This includes 21 tonnes flown in by a C-130 military transport aircraft and an Ilyushin IL-76 from Hindan Air Base on Friday night, which also carried more than 80 NDRF personnel and 8 tonnes of equipment, as cited by ANI.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also conveyed his condolences to the people of Sri Lanka who have lost loved ones in the devastation caused by Cyclone Ditwah. He also expressed hope for the safety, comfort and quick recovery of all affected families.
India has also said it is prepared to provide further assistance as the situation develops. Guided by the principles of the Neighbourhood First policy and Vision MAHASAGAR, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaffirmed that India will continue to stand by Sri Lanka in its time of need.
According to the latest figures released by Sri Lanka’s Disaster Management Centre on Sunday, 193 people have been confirmed dead and 228 remain missing since Thursday. The DMC reported that 9,68,304 people from 2,66,114 families have been affected by the extreme weather.
Next Story