“India has not and will not accept any mediation”: Modi’s Strong Message to Trump Over Call
Share this article:
In a recent phone conversation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi firmly told US President Donald Trump that the decision to de-escalate military tensions between India and Pakistan in May was taken independently by both nations’ armed forces and not due to US intervention. This was conveyed during a 35-minute call that was requested by Trump after a planned meeting between the two leaders at the G7 Summit in Canada had to be cancelled due to Trump’s early departure, according to Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri.
During the conversation, Modi clarified to Trump that “India has never accepted mediation, does not and will never do so,” Misri stated. Modi emphasized that throughout the May 7–10 clashes, “at no time [or] at any level” were discussions held on “India-US trade deal or mediation by the US between India and Pakistan.”
Trump had earlier claimed that the US played a mediating role in halting the hostilities, referring to it as a ceasefire, and attributed the de-escalation to threats of suspending trade with both India and Pakistan. However, this conversation marked the first time that Modi personally and publicly addressed the matter, making it clear that the decision to stop the military actions was taken solely through direct military-level dialogue between the two nations' Directors General of Military Operations (DGMOs).
The Indian strikes, which began on May 7 as part of Operation Sindoor in response to the April 22 Pahalgam terrorist attack that killed 26 civilians, triggered four days of cross-border engagements involving drones, missiles, and heavy artillery. India has not referred to the agreement to cease hostilities as a "ceasefire," and Misri reiterated that Operation Sindoor is still in progress.
Misri explained that Trump and Modi had been scheduled to meet at the G7 but had to resort to a phone call after the plan fell through. “Subsequently, at the request of President Trump, the two leaders spoke on the phone today,” he said.
This call was the first direct interaction between Modi and Trump since Trump had earlier offered condolences over the Pahalgam attack. “Therefore, Prime Minister Modi talked to President Trump in detail about Operation Sindoor,” Misri stated.
According to Misri, Modi told Trump that following the Pahalgam incident, India had demonstrated its resolve to act against terrorism. On May 7, the Indian military launched targeted strikes against terror camps in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. “India's actions were very measured, precise, and non-escalatory,” Misri said.
He added that India had clearly conveyed that it would “respond to Pakistan's bullet with a cannon shell.” On the night of May 9, US Vice President JD Vance called Modi, warning that Pakistan might launch a major assault. In response, Modi reportedly said, “in clear words that if this happens, India will give an even bigger reply to Pakistan.”
India retaliated heavily to Pakistan’s attack later that night, damaging Pakistani military infrastructure and rendering some airbases “inoperable.” Misri noted that this forceful response prompted Pakistan to seek a halt to military action. Modi reiterated to Trump that “at no time, at any level, were issues such as India-US trade deal or mediation by the US between India and Pakistan discussed.”
The final decision to pause military activities, Modi said, came via existing military communication channels and was made at Pakistan's request. Modi stressed that “India has never accepted mediation, does not and will never do so. There is complete political consensus in India on this issue.”
Misri concluded that Trump appeared to understand Modi’s perspective and reiterated his backing for India's anti-terror efforts. Modi conveyed that “India now sees terrorism as a war and not a proxy war, and India's Operation Sindoor is still ongoing.”
Trump asked if Modi could visit the US on his return from Canada, but Modi declined due to prior commitments, as he was traveling to Croatia next. The two leaders agreed to meet in the near future.
They also discussed broader geopolitical issues, including tensions between Israel and Iran and the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Both agreed that direct engagement between Moscow and Kyiv is essential to achieving peace. Additionally, Trump and Modi affirmed their support for the Quad alliance in the Indo-Pacific. Modi extended an invitation to Trump to visit India for the upcoming Quad Leaders’ Summit, and Trump “accepted the invitation and said that he is looking forward to visiting India,” Misri said.
India has not and will not accept any mediation”: Modi’s Strong Message to Trump Over Call
The summit is anticipated to take place towards the end of the year.
During the conversation, Modi clarified to Trump that “India has never accepted mediation, does not and will never do so,” Misri stated. Modi emphasized that throughout the May 7–10 clashes, “at no time [or] at any level” were discussions held on “India-US trade deal or mediation by the US between India and Pakistan.”
Trump had earlier claimed that the US played a mediating role in halting the hostilities, referring to it as a ceasefire, and attributed the de-escalation to threats of suspending trade with both India and Pakistan. However, this conversation marked the first time that Modi personally and publicly addressed the matter, making it clear that the decision to stop the military actions was taken solely through direct military-level dialogue between the two nations' Directors General of Military Operations (DGMOs).
The Indian strikes, which began on May 7 as part of Operation Sindoor in response to the April 22 Pahalgam terrorist attack that killed 26 civilians, triggered four days of cross-border engagements involving drones, missiles, and heavy artillery. India has not referred to the agreement to cease hostilities as a "ceasefire," and Misri reiterated that Operation Sindoor is still in progress.
Misri explained that Trump and Modi had been scheduled to meet at the G7 but had to resort to a phone call after the plan fell through. “Subsequently, at the request of President Trump, the two leaders spoke on the phone today,” he said.
This call was the first direct interaction between Modi and Trump since Trump had earlier offered condolences over the Pahalgam attack. “Therefore, Prime Minister Modi talked to President Trump in detail about Operation Sindoor,” Misri stated.
According to Misri, Modi told Trump that following the Pahalgam incident, India had demonstrated its resolve to act against terrorism. On May 7, the Indian military launched targeted strikes against terror camps in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir. “India's actions were very measured, precise, and non-escalatory,” Misri said.
He added that India had clearly conveyed that it would “respond to Pakistan's bullet with a cannon shell.” On the night of May 9, US Vice President JD Vance called Modi, warning that Pakistan might launch a major assault. In response, Modi reportedly said, “in clear words that if this happens, India will give an even bigger reply to Pakistan.”
India retaliated heavily to Pakistan’s attack later that night, damaging Pakistani military infrastructure and rendering some airbases “inoperable.” Misri noted that this forceful response prompted Pakistan to seek a halt to military action. Modi reiterated to Trump that “at no time, at any level, were issues such as India-US trade deal or mediation by the US between India and Pakistan discussed.”
The final decision to pause military activities, Modi said, came via existing military communication channels and was made at Pakistan's request. Modi stressed that “India has never accepted mediation, does not and will never do so. There is complete political consensus in India on this issue.”
Misri concluded that Trump appeared to understand Modi’s perspective and reiterated his backing for India's anti-terror efforts. Modi conveyed that “India now sees terrorism as a war and not a proxy war, and India's Operation Sindoor is still ongoing.”
Trump asked if Modi could visit the US on his return from Canada, but Modi declined due to prior commitments, as he was traveling to Croatia next. The two leaders agreed to meet in the near future.
They also discussed broader geopolitical issues, including tensions between Israel and Iran and the Russia-Ukraine conflict. Both agreed that direct engagement between Moscow and Kyiv is essential to achieving peace. Additionally, Trump and Modi affirmed their support for the Quad alliance in the Indo-Pacific. Modi extended an invitation to Trump to visit India for the upcoming Quad Leaders’ Summit, and Trump “accepted the invitation and said that he is looking forward to visiting India,” Misri said.
India has not and will not accept any mediation”: Modi’s Strong Message to Trump Over Call
The summit is anticipated to take place towards the end of the year.
Next Story