Police have gained total control after Bandra demolition violence, 16 arrested: CM Devendra Fadnavis
Mumbai (Maharashtra) [India], May 21 (ANI): Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Thursday said police had gained complete control over the situation following violence during an anti-encroachment drive near Bandra railway station in Mumbai, where stones were allegedly pelted at security personnel.
Addressing a press conference, Fadnavis said some "miscreants" attempted to disrupt the demolition operation being carried out by Western Railway authorities.
The Mumbai Police on Thursday arrested 16 individuals for allegedly pelting stones and paver blocks at police personnel during the anti-encroachment drive conducted near Bandra railway station (East) on Wednesday. The accused were produced before the Bandra Court earlier in the day.
According to police officials, the stone-pelting continued for nearly an hour before the situation was brought under control. Five police personnel sustained serious injuries, including one officer who suffered a fractured hand and another who sustained a broken nose. Ten others received minor injuries.
The demolition drive was launched by Western Railway on May 19 to clear unauthorised structures from railway land as part of infrastructure expansion and redevelopment projects. The Rail Land Development Authority (RLDA) had recently auctioned nearby land to private developers for modernisation work.
Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer Vineet Abhishek said nearly 85 per cent of the demolition work had been completed with support from multiple agencies. "We are ensuring that no one faces any kind of trouble or gets injured. Around 1200 personnel, including City Police, RPF and GRP teams, are deployed to maintain law and order," he said.
Meanwhile, Fadnavis also addressed concerns over the kharif season, warning that El Nino could pose a major challenge for Maharashtra this year.
The Chief Minister also announced that the state government would implement a farm loan waiver by June 30.
"We are announcing the farm loan waiver by 30th June. They will be eligible for the next cycle," he said.
"We have enough stock of fuel right now. But the demand for fuel has increased drastically. We will investigate who is hoarding fuel and act accordingly," he added. (ANI)
Next Story