"Ridiculous response": Congress MP Manickam Tagore slams NTA DG over "no paper leak" remarks
New Delhi [India], May 22 (ANI): Congress MP Manickam Tagore on Friday slammed National Testing Agency (NTA) Director General Abhishek Singh over his response to the NEET-UG 2026 controversy, demanding both his and Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan's dismissal.
Tagore alleged a BJP-linked "cartel" is shielding those involved, claiming that a fair investigation into the NTA row would expose numerous ruling party faces.
His remarks come amid ongoing political debate over the NEET-UG 2026 examination, after NTA officials informed the Parliamentary Standing Committee that the paper was not leaked in full and that only certain questions had surfaced prior to the exam, as per the sources.
According to sources, NTA DG Abhishek Singh and Higher Education Secretary Vineet Joshi told the committee that several reforms recommended for strengthening the examination system had already been implemented, while work on the remaining measures was ongoing.
Officials maintained that the alleged leak did not originate from the NTA system and said the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is probing the circulation of leaked questions that led to the cancellation of the examination, as per the sources.
They also defended the cancellation under the agency's "zero-tolerance" policy, stating that even limited compromise of questions could undermine public trust in competitive examinations.
Political tensions continue over the NEET-UG 2026 controversy, which led to the cancellation of the examination held on May 3 across 551 cities in India and 14 international centres, with over 22 lakh candidates appearing.
Next Story