'US is offering to help': Rubio posts Spanish-language video addressing Cubans
US secretary of state Marco Rubio marked Cuban Independence Day with a direct message to the people of Cuba.
In a Spanish-language video address released on Wednesday, Rubio blamed the island’s communist leadership for the “unimaginable hardships” faced by ordinary Cubans and spoke of offering the country a “new path.”
"And I want to tell you what we in the US are offering to help you, not only alleviate the current crisis, but also to build a better future," Rubio said in the video address.

"The real reason you don't have electricity, fuel, or food is because those who control your country have plundered billions of dollars, but nothing has been used to help the people," he added.
Rubio’s address centred heavily on GAESA , the powerful Cuban military-run business conglomerate founded under Fidel Castro that is estimated to control nearly 70 per cent of Cuba’s economy through its interests in hotels, construction, banks, retail stores and US cash remittances. The organisation is believed to hold assets worth around $18 billion, as cited by Axios.
"President Trump is offering a new relationship between the US and Cuba. But it must be directly with you, the Cuban people, not with GAESA," Rubio said.
In his remarks, Rubio contrasted the wealth of the elites running GAESA with the hardships faced by ordinary Cubans, arguing that the country’s revolutionary communist system had evolved into a corrupt power structure.
“Cuba is not controlled by any 'revolution.' Cuba is controlled by GAESA. The only role played by the so-called 'government' is to demand that you continue making 'sacrifices' and repressing anyone who dares to complain," Rubio said.
Rubio also highlighted the success of Cubans abroad, arguing that their achievements across industries highlighted the failures of the island’s leadership.
“Today, from media to entertainment, from the private sector to politics, and from music to sports, Cubans have reached the top of virtually ALL industries, in all countries, except one ... Cuba,” he said.
Rubio described Cuba as being in a deep economic and governance crisis, pointing to severe shortages of food and fuel as well as prolonged power outages, with some areas reportedly receiving electricity for only two hours a day.
He said the Trump administration was prepared to provide humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people.
The administration is offering “$100 million in food and medicine for you, the people,” Rubio said, adding that the aid should be distributed through the “Catholic Church or other trusted charitable groups. Not stolen by GAESA to sell in one of their stores.”
Cuba’s government and its supporters have long blamed the island’s economic troubles on the decades-old US embargo and the tougher sanctions imposed under the Trump administration.
They have also pointed to the sharp decline in oil supplies that Venezuela had previously provided at no cost before Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro was seized by the United States on January 3.
In a Spanish-language video address released on Wednesday, Rubio blamed the island’s communist leadership for the “unimaginable hardships” faced by ordinary Cubans and spoke of offering the country a “new path.”
"And I want to tell you what we in the US are offering to help you, not only alleviate the current crisis, but also to build a better future," Rubio said in the video address.
"The real reason you don't have electricity, fuel, or food is because those who control your country have plundered billions of dollars, but nothing has been used to help the people," he added.
Rubio’s address centred heavily on GAESA , the powerful Cuban military-run business conglomerate founded under Fidel Castro that is estimated to control nearly 70 per cent of Cuba’s economy through its interests in hotels, construction, banks, retail stores and US cash remittances. The organisation is believed to hold assets worth around $18 billion, as cited by Axios.
"President Trump is offering a new relationship between the US and Cuba. But it must be directly with you, the Cuban people, not with GAESA," Rubio said.
In his remarks, Rubio contrasted the wealth of the elites running GAESA with the hardships faced by ordinary Cubans, arguing that the country’s revolutionary communist system had evolved into a corrupt power structure.
“Cuba is not controlled by any 'revolution.' Cuba is controlled by GAESA. The only role played by the so-called 'government' is to demand that you continue making 'sacrifices' and repressing anyone who dares to complain," Rubio said.
Rubio also highlighted the success of Cubans abroad, arguing that their achievements across industries highlighted the failures of the island’s leadership.
“Today, from media to entertainment, from the private sector to politics, and from music to sports, Cubans have reached the top of virtually ALL industries, in all countries, except one ... Cuba,” he said.
Rubio described Cuba as being in a deep economic and governance crisis, pointing to severe shortages of food and fuel as well as prolonged power outages, with some areas reportedly receiving electricity for only two hours a day.
He said the Trump administration was prepared to provide humanitarian assistance to the Cuban people.
The administration is offering “$100 million in food and medicine for you, the people,” Rubio said, adding that the aid should be distributed through the “Catholic Church or other trusted charitable groups. Not stolen by GAESA to sell in one of their stores.”
Cuba’s government and its supporters have long blamed the island’s economic troubles on the decades-old US embargo and the tougher sanctions imposed under the Trump administration.
They have also pointed to the sharp decline in oil supplies that Venezuela had previously provided at no cost before Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro was seized by the United States on January 3.
Next Story